PINTAIL is an unusual offering, benefitting from a comprehensive 2016 refit (approximately $800,000) A few highpoints: new paint from the masthead to the keel, new rigging, a new generator, new chilled water AC units, new electronics, new electric davits, washer-dryer and new tender. Additionally, the electrical system was re-designed with a new master panel, charger, inverter and batteries.
PINTAIL’S hull is properly built with foam-core topsides and solid laminate below the waterline. Teak decks were removed and non-skid applied.
Interior appointments are modern and elegant, beige leather upholstery is complemented by beautiful blonde cabinetry. The arrangement includes both upper and lower salon spaces, which are bright and open and offer generous spaces for dining and socializing.
Accommodations provide for six guests in three lovely cabins. The owner’s full-beam cabin aft features a plush double bed, vanity, ample storage and en-suite bath. Additionally, the yacht has two double cabins for guests and a V-berth for crew forward with separate head facilities.
PINTAIL’S push-button sail handling system maintains optimal performance with boom furling rather than mast furling. Above deck space offers a lovely cockpit with seating and a table and a sunpad aft. The swim platform provides easy access to the water and the tender.
This is a yacht one will be proud to own.
PINTAIL is a modern, raised saloon cruising yacht with three comfortable staterooms, crew cabin forward, and power assisted sail handling with LeisureFurl boom. A recent (2016) and comprehensive ($800,000.) refit will greatly benefit the next, fortunate owner.
Performance under sail is superb with 200 miles days easily achieved. The ergonomics both above and below deck are configured with comfort and safety in mind. A comparison with Oyster and Hylas yachts of similar size and age is a worthy exercise for any cruising sailors in the 60 foot marketplace.
All coatings removed down to gel coat via media blasting.
Bottom filled and faired.
Interlux Interprotect 2000 Barrier Coat.
1st coat of Antifouling Trinidad SR.
Remaining coats Micron CSC black.
All teak decking removed, decks epoxy sealed then painted. Aft deck, swim platform, and cockpit teak replaced with new by Teak Decking Systems.
Prep: Existing paint removed down to gel coat. Original gel coat is white.
Fairing: Awlfair as needed. Only minor fairing required.
Primer: Awlgrip High Build, 545 Grey
Topcoat: Awlcraft 2000 Flag Blue x 3 coats, & Awlcraft Clear x 3 coats
Deck/Cabin House Paint
Cabin/Cockpit Prep: Existing paint removed down to gel coat.
Deck Prep: Teak decks removed, screw holes epoxy filled and glassed.
Primer: Awlgrip High Build, 545 Grey
Topcoat: Awlcraft 2000 Insignia White
Non Skid: Awlcraft 2000 Moon Dust (flattening agent added)
Windows: Awlcraft 2000 Black
Primer: Max Cor CF, High Build, 545 White
Topcoat: Awlcraft Snow White
Rebuilt all hatches with new lenses and seals.
Model: Lewmar Ocean Series Hatch
All replaced with new.
Model: Lewmar Size 2 New Standard Series
Select Plastics: Modified and rebuilt all units.
Model: Lewmar Size 1 Custom Ocean Series Portlights
All replaced with OceanAir: digital templates on file at factory, under ‘Tayana 65’
Color: Chintz Topar Plus
All headliners replaced: material: N0001 Linen
All upholstery replaced with Ultraleather Buff
Bimini & Dodger replaced: Weblon White
Cockpit Cushions: Ultra Leather 383-5805 Ermine
Standing Rigging / Mast / Hydraulics
Standing rigging inspected and dye tested. Found to be in good condition.
Mast and boom built in 2004 by Forespar in CA. Boat originally had a furling
main. Drawings of both are on file at Forespar if needed.
Hydraulic furling pump replaced on boom. All hoses replaced in boom.
Hydraulic headsail furler rebuilt by Harken.
All hoses and fittings above deck and in mast replaced (furlers and mast).
Navtec backstay cylinder rebuild by Florida Rigging and Hydraulics.
Navtec System 50 Panel serviced by Florida Rigging and Hydraulics.
Mast wiring all replaced.
Mast head tri color added.
VHF antenna replaced.
All running rigging replaced.
Halyards: NER Endura Braid 12 mm
Mainsheet: NER Endura Braid 12 mm
Running Backs: ½” Amsteel, 5/8” NER Sta Set
Check Stays: 3/8” Amsteel, 3/8” NER Sta Set
Staysail Sheets: 5/8” NER Sta Set
Mast base was removed and replaced with a 316 stainless steel, two-part base.
New base is over engineered and should outlast life of boat.
Part 1: Bottom plate: Bedded in epoxy and thru bolted to 3 transverses.
Part 2: Riser: The riser is bolted to the bottom plate and can be removed by
unbolting, made to be adjustable.
Stainless Simpson S300 electric davits added to transom during refit. (dinghy originally on aft deck)
Transom shower box enclosed and G10 backing plates glassed into transom
where stainless mounts are bolted thru.
Rebuilt by Aqua Drive (2018).
Cleaned and polished.
Manifolds rebuilt and simplified.
Northern Lights 15kw generator installed.
AC and DC panels removed and rewired.
New panel built by Paneltronics.
2 x Magnum inverter/chargers installed in series to allow 220V equipment to run without generator.
12 Volt battery charger replaced.
Backup 24 Volt battery charger installed.
Blue Seas ACR installed.
All batteries and cables replaced.
12 and 24 volt alternators replaced.
Balmar voltage regulator installed.
Galvanic Isolator installed.
All replaced with Brooks and Gatehouse / Simrad. (see below)
Two Cruisair chiller units installed, variable speed.
New circulation pumps
Custom rack built to allow access to thru hulls.
Replace self contained unit in Capt Quarters
Waste: All hoses replaced. Vacu-Flush tanks rebuilt. Macerator aft replaced.
Fresh: Valves removed and simplified. Pump selector switch
added in engine room to switch between pumps quickly.
Hot water heater replaced and heater exchanger lines installed.
Accumulator tank replaced.
PSR SR pumps rebuilt and selector switch installed.
Deck Washdown: Pump replaced.
June 2019 – Top end overhaul.
Fuel injectors tested, cleaned, and rebuilt.
Head removed and sent to machine shop. Rebuilt as needed.
Engine mounts replaced.
Coolers cleaned, seals replaced, pressure tested.
Exhaust elbow replaced.
Coolant, oil, filters, impeller, changed.
The raised saloon design is beautifully executed and provides an abundance of light and headroom below. Navigation conveniences are easily accessible to the cockpit.
To starboard in the main saloon are built-in, upholstered seats; the semi-circular dinette to port will seat an additional six guests. Main saloon seating in Ultraleather would accommodate the full complement of owners and guests in comfort. All modern amenities are available including wet bar and elaborate audio-visual system with surround-sound.
Galley is to port, suitably configured amidships.
Owner's quarters are aft and full beam with centerline queen berth and ensuite head/shower. Storage is suitable for long-term life aboard with his/her hanging lockers, vanity table and numerous drawers and cabinets. Opening ports and a large deck hatch allow for natural light and ventilation.
Two comfortable guest cabins are forward of the main saloon, each with double berth and head / shower facilities, along with generous natural light and ventilation. All the way forward, the foc'sle features crew cabin with private head.
Construction: Hull and Deck Details
- Hull Paint: Flag Blue Hull with White Boot Striping (2016)
- Stainless Steel Rudder Hung on FRP Skeg
- Deck Layup: Hand Laid Fiberglass with Kyntex and Baltex Core
- Deck Paint: Awlgrip Non Skid Decks (2016)
- Raised Aft Deck & Cockpit: Glued Teak Decks (2016)
- Aluminum Toe Rail
- 1x19 Double SS Lifelines (2016)
- Custom Folding Boarding Ladders at Gate Openings (2016)
- Double Stainless Steel Anchor Rollers
- Simpson Electric Davits with Remote Control (2016)
- Transom Washdown (Hot/Cold Water)
- Chrome dorades with stainless guards
Electronics: Of note, all electronics replaced in 2016 refit.
- B&G Zeus 12" MFD at Helm and Nav Station
- B&G Triton at Nav Station
- B&G H5000 x 2 in Cockpit
- B&G Broadband Radar
- B&G V50 VHF with AIS and DSC
- B&G Remote VHF Handheld
- B&G Autopilot Controls at Helm and Nav Stations
- Autopilot steering powered by continuous running hydraulic pump
- Sirius Weather
- ICOM SSB M-802 (tuner and wiring also replaced)
- IRIS Nightrunner Thermal Imaging Camera
- Digital Yachts iNav Connect WIFI Extender
Rigging and Sails
- Forespar Keel Stepped Aluminum Mast, Triple Spreader (Custom Built 2004)
- Mast Painted 2016
- Dyform Wire Standing Rigging
- Leisure Furl Hydraulic Boom Furling (2004)
- Cutter Rigged with Harken Hydraulic Furlers
- Lewmar Commander Hydraulic Sail Control System
- Rigid Hydraulic Boom Vang
- Navtec Hydraulic Backstay Adjuster
- Mast Mounted Spinnaker/Whisker Pole Track
- Running Backstays (2016)
- Endura Braid Halyards (2016)
- 2 x Lewmar 77/3 CST Electric Winches (Headsail)
- 2 x Lewmar 54 ST Electric Winches (Staysail)
- 3 x Lewmar 48 ST Electric Winches (Runners, Halyards)
- 2 x Lewmar 44 ST Electric Winches (Traveler)
- Yanmar 4LH-STE Turbo Diesel (2800 hrs)
- ZF transmission 2.7-1 Reduction
- Aquadrive Antivibration System (rebuilt 2016)
- Max Prop Feathering 3 blade
- Line cutting "Spurs" on shaft
- Fuel Tanks: 3 x 170 gallon stainless
- Northern Lights 16 kW Generator (2016)
- Side Power Bow Thruster
- Air Conditioning- 2 x Dometic Chillers (2016)
- A Conditioning- 5 x Blowers (each stateroom and salon)
- Chiller Circulation and Raw Water Pumps (2016)
- Dometic Self Contained Unit in Crew Quarters (2016)
- Fresh Water Tanks: 2 stainless tanks = 250 gallon capacity
- Freshwater Pumps: 2 x 24 Volt Groco Paragon
- Groco Accumulator Tank (2016)
- Water Heater: Quick 220 Volt 60 liter with Engine Heat Exchange (2016)
- Watermaker: Sea Recovery Aqua Whisper 600 gpd
- Deck Washdown: Fresh and Salt x 24 Volt Pumps
- Shower Pump: 3 x 24 Volt Pumps to Grey Water Tanks
- Grey Water: 2 x unknown capacity
- Black Water Tanks: 2 x unknown capacity
- Toilets: 4 x VacuFlush
- Macerator: 2 x 24 Volt Pumps
- Bilge Pumps: 3 x 24 VDC Auto/Man Pumps; 1 x 120 VAC Pump
- Bilge Pump Panel with Counter
- High Bilge Alarm
- Manual Bilge Pump in E.R.
- LG Washer and Dryer Combo (NEW 2016)
Of note, entire electrical system scrutinized for efficiency and redesigned as needed in 2016.
- Custom AC/DC Panel by Paneltronics (2016)
- Engine, Generator, Inverter, and House Battery Switches with Parallels
- AC: 110/220 Volt Systems
- DC: 12 Volt Starting, 24 Volt House Systems
- Inverting: Magnum 110 VAC Inverters/100 A Chargers x 2, Stacked to Run 220
- VAC equipment (2016)
- Start Bank Charging: Mastervolt 50A, 12VDC Charger
- Backup House Charging: Dolphin 60A, 24VDC Backup Charger (2017)
- Engine Start Battery 12V: 1 x Duracell 8D Lead Acid (2015)
- Generator Start Battery 12V: 1 x Duracell 8D Lead Acid (2015)
- House Bank 24V: 4 x Duracell G31 Lead Acid (2015)
- Inverter Bank 24V: 8 x Odyssey G31 Maintenance Free (2015)
- Balmar 24V/120A High Output Alternator
- Balmar Smart Regulator (NEW 2016)
- Lighthouse 1501 Electric Windlass with Foot Switches and Helm Control
- 165' G4 Chain and 175' Rode
- Mantus Anchor Swivel
- 130 lb Plow Anchor
- Fresh and Saltwater Washdowns at Bow
- Viking RescYou 8-man Liferaft in Canister - Custom rail mount on push pit for quick deployment
- MOM 8 Rescue Module
- Force 10 SS Grill - rail mounted with cover
- Tri Color LED Masthead Light
- AB 11' Aluminum RIB (NEW 2017)
- Yamaha 20hp 4 stroke outboard (NEW 2017
- 1930 Custom Philip and Son LTD$5,495,000Belfast, MENorthrop and Johnson, Inc. RI
- 2006 Fitzroy yachts 38 Meter Dubois$7,250,000Newport, RINorthrop and Johnson, Inc. RI
- 1995 Concordia Deep Vee$359,000Wickford, RINorthrop and Johnson, Inc. RI
- 2009 Ocean Alexander OA 74$2,150,000Falmouth, MANorthrop and Johnson, Inc. RI