The Hunter 40.5 Legend features a large cockpit and a spacious two-stateroom, two-head layout which easily accommodates two couples or a family of six for extended cruising. The well-equipped galley, ample storage space and light, airy feeling in the main salon make this model an excellent choice as a live-aboard vessel. BELLA VITA has a new mainsail in a Doyle stackpack, and her powerful and reliable four-cylinder Volvo MD22L diesel motor has been meticulously maintained. Many updates add additional value at a reasonable price.* Mooring included for one season in Cape Cod's most scenic harbor at no additional cost!*
Conceived as the ultimate coastal cruiser by Warren Luhrs, and built during the heyday of Hunter Marine, the accommodations on the 40.5 leave nothing to be desired. The cockpit is huge and is equipped with a central folding table for meals. On BELLA VITA the cockpit is protected by a good-looking dodger and bimini, both in excellent condition. There are also custom-made cockpit cushions, including cushions for the stern-rail seats,. Down below, the L-shaped galley to port features a three-burner propane stove and oven, a large refrigerator/freezer, a double stainless steel sink with pressurized hot and cold water, and ample counter and storage space, including a hanging overhead rack. The main salon has 6' 4" of headroom throughout, and is well-lit and ventilated by multiple overhead hatches and large port lights. There is a forward-facing nav station to starboard with a large chart table and a dedicated and comfortable seat. The dinette to port has a folding table that seats eight and also lowers to convert to an extra berth. The forward cabin features a large V-berth and a private head with shower, along with plenty of storage shelves and drawers, and is well-lit and ventilated by an over sized deck hatch. The aft cabin extends the full width of the boat and contains a queen-sized bed and also has private access to the aft head. The spacious aft head has a recently installed electric toilet and a household quality stand-up shower. There are many other small details in the accommodations that helped earn the Hunter 40.5 its reputation as one of the best cruising sailboats Hunter Marine ever built.
- (4) 6V batteries for house bank
- (1) 12V Group 24 starting battery
- (25) 12V circuits at panel
- 12V Macerator for holding tank
- 12V Electric toilet in forward head
- 12V Electric Refrigerator/Freezer
- 12V Domestic water pump
- 12V Electric bilge pump
- 12V Shower sump pump
- 12V Cabin, mast and running lights
- 12V Electric anchor windlass
- 12V electric tank monitor
- Dytek Battery Charger
- (4) 110V circuits at panel
- (9) 110V household outlets
- 110V Shore power cord
- 110V Hot water heater (also runs off engine.)
- Garmin GPS 741xs chart plotter (3 years old)
- Garmin Radar (2 years old)
- Autohelm autopilot
- Autohelm wind instrument
- Autohelm depth instrument
- Autohelm speed instrument
- VHF Radio at helm
- West Marine AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth at nav station
- 18" Samsung TV
Sails and Rigging
- Doyle full battened mainsail (2 years old)
- Doyle StackPack for mainsail (2 years old)
- Tides sail-slide system for mainsail
- 110% jib
- Sail Area - 760 sq. ft.
- Selden double-spreader B&R mast.
- Mast Height off water - 64 ft.
- Pro-furl headsail furler
- Fractional rig
- Autoprop feathering propeller - increases efficiency in forward and reverse and reduces drag while sailing
- Bruce anchor with 200 feet of 5/16 chain and electric windlass - anchor securely in any conditions.
- (2) Lewmar 48 self-tailing primary winches
- (1) Lewmar 30 self tailing halyard winch
- (1) Lewmar 44 self tailing winch for mainsail
- New closed-cell cockpit cushions
"BELLA VITA is a great coastal cruiser for a couple that likes to sail with another couple or a whole family. The large mainsail and small jib configuration was specifically designed to make the boat easier to sail shorthanded than the typical head sail driven boat with a giant overlapping genoa. The owner recently replaced the old mainsail with a brand new one in a Doyle StackPack, which is a great feature. The wing keel, with a shoal draft of only 4'11", provides good sailing performance while allowing you to get in and out of places other 40-footers can't go.
"BELLA VITA also has a great motor - the Volvo MD22L - a four cylinder 50 HP with a direct injection fuel system. These motors are known to be a little smokey when first starting up in cold weather, but they are also known to be extremely reliable and virtually impossible to kill. The owner does not know the exact hours on the motor, but he has maintained it impeccably since he bought the boat in 2004 and estimates using it only 20 hours per year the last several years. The access to the motor is as good as you will find on any boat, practically 360 degrees. BELLA VITA is also equipped with an Autoprop feathering propeller, an expensive piece of engineering that increases handling efficiency under power, especially in reverse, and reduces drag while under sail.
"The interior of the Hunter 40.5 is light and airy and more spacious than some apartments I've lived in.. The owners have taken good care of BELLA VITA, and all the woodwork and upholstery is in good shape. The hull and deck are in goot shape also and only need a compound and wax. As a great bonus, the owner is also willing to throw in the mooring he already paid for in Red Brook Harbor on Cape Cod, home of Kingman Yacht Center and the Chart Room Restaurant. If you are looking for a great cruising sailboat at a reasonable price, come and check out BELLA VITA. You just might have the best summer of your life!"
- 2015 Austin Parker 54 Fly$1,295,000South Dartmouth, MACape Yachts at South Wharf - South Dartmouth, MA
- 2020 Beneteau Antares 21Request a PriceSouth Dartmouth, MACape Yachts at South Wharf - South Dartmouth, MA
- 2020 Austin Parker 48 SundeckRequest a PriceUSCape Yachts at South Wharf - South Dartmouth, MA
- 2014 Beneteau Monte Carlo MC 5$639,000Marion, MACape Yachts at South Wharf - South Dartmouth, MA