"Too Elusive" is an 80' Ketch, designed by renowned naval architect Douglas Peterson, and was custom built by British Ship Builders Southern Ocean. She is an extremely capable vessel built to the rigorous Lloyds 100 class A standard. That, in itself, speaks volumes not only to her coastal capabilities but also offshore.
You can safely sail in comfort to pretty much anywhere in the world. Once onboard, you'll instantly see why her longtime owner will tell you how some of his fondest memories of raising his family, spending time with friends and relatives, were made aboard Too Elusive.
She is a ketch-rigged Southern Ocean 80 originally built in 1985. She spent the winter of 2012-2013 at Front Street Shipyard receiving a comprehensive refit that included everything from her hull to her interior and rigging.
Refit started by grinding down and rebuilding the radius for the hull down to the deck joint fully-faired and stripped her paint from the entire hull. The entire hull was primed and painted with AWL-Grip and followed that up by sanding and clear coating to bring out the most brilliant possible color and shine.
Next, a steel shoe was built for the keel, and then faired the new foil. Her bottom was sanded and painted prior to launch.
Several mechanical upgrades were made on TOO ELUSIVE. Most significantly, her steering system and rudder bearings.
A complete rebuild of her aft cabin, while also removing and rebuilding most of the main salon, including crafting overheads, and replacing all the wood. A new nav station was built and installed with all new electronics.
Additionally, her rigging was given a facelift with new paint on her main and mizzen masts. Front Streets riggers replaced much of her running rigging and some of her standing rigging. Finally, she outfitted with all new sails.
Refit 2013 Highlights
- Hull completely stripped repainted w awl grip and clear coated
- installed new steel shoe keel
- Engineered, fabricated, and installed new Foil
- Rebuilt a completely new re-engineered steering system
- Complete updated custom wood main salon interior
- Master aft cabin completely refit w custom wood interior
- Custom wood navigation station installed
- New 3 station Garmin electronics package
- Repainted both her main and mizzenmast
- Replaced all her running rigging
- New complete set of sails.
Electronics / Navigation
- VHF ICOM VHF ICM604 Helm
- VHF ICOM VHF ICMM710 Chart Table
- Compass Danforth Constellation 5"
- Garmin 3 stations
- Simrad Autopilot w remote
- PC with Nobeltec Software
- Radar Furuno 46MN
- B and G Multi-function Display
- B&G Depthsounder
- B&G Wind Angle
- B&G Wind Velocity Monitor
- KVH sat
- 50 amp 240V main
- Northern Lights 25 kw Genset #1
- Kohler 9ks Genset #2
- 2 Mastervolt 2500w Charger / Inverter
- 2 Mastervolt 100 amp Chargers
- Fourteen 12-volt deep cycle batteries
- Sea-Recovery 800 gallons per day watermaker
- 5 Heads
- 5 Showers
- 8 Marine Cruise Air ac / heat units
- Splendide front load Washer
- Splendide front load Dryer
- AC powered Karmin Hardin Central stereo system
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. Hours listed may vary from actual hours due to recent use. Purchaser is encouraged to verify hours prior to purchase. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.