Simpson Bay, SX
This yacht was purchased in 2010 by the current owner, a retired marine industry professional with extensive experience in custom yacht construction and refit. The results of this project are a possible live aboard, Maybe a world cruising sailing yacht with a classic look and modern reliable systems at a fraction of the cost of a new vessel.
She represents an excellent opportunity to purchase a vessel that is ready to go now without the need for updating or extensive work to bring it current with her endless hours of improvements. One look at the long list of current equipment, electronics, sails and rigging and a potential buyer in the market for a vessel in this size range will instantly recognize the incredible value of this modernized classic.
And the proof is in the story: After an exhaustive search for the perfect cruising boat in the mid 40’ range capable of being handled by a single person the owner reached the conclusion that it would be necessary to spend in the vicinity of $500,000 U.S. to purchase a used vessel in order to meet his requirements.
He purchased the best available hull and deck and did a complete refit/rebuild in order to create this yacht. The Robert Perry designed Choey Lee met the standard for solid build quality, and classic looks along with an excellent hull shape and sailing characteristics. The boat originally had no equipment other than a battery charger, VHF radio, and manual flush toilets. All other systems were original to 1982.
The best available materials and equipment were used in this refit. All interior construction work was performed by the owner and a mega-yacht refit specialist to high standards. The amount of time that went into this project cannot be quantified, and luckily it was a labor of love as the total cost of the project will never be recovered at a reasonable sale price.
Below is an extensive list from the refit:
- 2012 Boat painted from waterline to house. Hull 8 coats of Awlgrip Royal Blue with Clearcoat finish. House, mast and boom repainted with 8 coats Awlgrip Matterhorn White.
- 2014 Addition of Northern Lights 8KW generator with sound shield. At 1,700 hours unit removed, painted, heat exchanger acid washed, and all new peripherals installed. Including alternator, fuel pump, water pump, oil pump, new hoses and wiring. New Vetus NPL Waterlock Muffler, hoses, Vetus Gooseneck, and new thru-hull fitting. New Northern Lights SC3 remote control panel.
- Construction of custom generator enclosure with Sound-down barrier acoustic insulation.
Installation of Delta-T Systems 250cfm continuous duty blower and 4” ducting to external outlet on transom. Addition of 4” fresh air ducting from cockpit to generator enclosure.
Installation of two cowl ventilators on transom deck.
- 2017 new Lewmar windlass with remote in cockpit and chain counter. High polished stainless steel anchor chain 80’, high polished stainless steel Rocna anchor. Additional anchor line and spare anchor.
- Installation of Edson Dingy Davits with optional mounting shoes. Custom 1/2” aluminum backing plate fiberglassed to underside of aft-deck.
- Construction of custom stainless steel pole for radar and satellite TV dome. Installation through deck to heavy duty custom aluminum/stainless socket which is fiber glassed to transom. Includes removable engine hoist, gps antenna mounting arm.
Scanstrut self leveling radar mount installed on pole.
- New high gloss teak engine guage panel with all new Teleflex heavy duty gauges for tachometer, water temp, oil pressure, voltage, and engine hours.
New Teleflex side mount throttle and shift control with custom high gloss teak mounting plate and knob.
- New Teleflex throttle and shift cables to main engine.
- New Ikibro marine wood and stainless steel steering wheel.
- Fuel tank drained and cleaned.
- 2016 installation of new batteries. 3 x 8D Lifeline deep cycle marine AGM @ 255 amp/hour each, for total of 765 amp hours. 2 x series 27 Deka Marine lead acid starting batteries for main engine and generator. All new cables run for batteries to engine, generator, charger and electrical panel.
- Entire boat rewired with top quality Ancor Marine wire. Replacement and installation of every wire throughout entire boat.
- Dual 30 amp shore power inlets, single cable TV/ telephone inlet. 2 x 30 amp power cords, 1 x marine TV cord.
- All 110 volt outlets replaced with new GFCI outlets.
- Blueseas Systems P12 series 40 amp battery charger with remote display. Feb, 2020
Custom electrical panel box with internal lighting. Custom box beneath electrical panel for Generator and aft A/C raw water strainers and racor filters Gen and main engine.
- Custom Blueseas Systems electrical panels. Main panel. 14x 15 amp A/C 110 volt breakers, 20 x 15 amp 12 volt DC. 1 x 30 amp A/C main breaker, 2 x 3 position A/C selector switches, VSM digital system monitor with ultrasonic tank senders for water and fuel. BSS automatic charging relay. Sterling Power Products Pro Split R 3 way alternator distribution unit.
- Electromax high output 85 amp marine alternator with external regulator.
Second Blueseas Systems 110 volt distribution panel with analog meters for voltage and amperage. 30 amp main breaker and 15 amp breakers.
- Blueseas Systems remote panel for dual mini 3 way battery switches (house and generator), with 12 volt 100 amp main breaker and 8 x 15 amp individual breakers. 3rd mini battery switch for main engine in electrical box.
- Blueseas Systems 12 distribution panel mounted at chart table. Digital display with 3 way battery switch to monitor all battery banks, includes 5 x 15 amp breakers for electronics at chart table.
- Nav light panel with switches and indicator lights.
- SeaTel controller for sat TV.
- Blueseas Systems weather proof panel in cockpit with 4 x 15 amp breakers.
- Custom built enclosure for new LG washer / dryer and four drawer (13” x 22”) pantry with lower compartment for air-conditioning unit.
- Custom built high gloss teak stairs to replace factory ladder.
- Custom built drawer beneath oven for pot and pan storage.
- Custom built sliding drawer in cupboard for Edgestar self-contained icemaker.
- Custom made sliding drawer for Cannon printer/scanner.
- Custom hatch in master stateroom, for access to generator end and water pump.
- Marine air conditioning. NEW 2018. 1 x Frigomar 16,000 BTU units. SELF CONTAINED UNITS VARIABLE CAPACITY INVERTER TECHNOLOGY. Variable frequency driven brushless DC compressor, Remote plenum mounted under chart table for distribution of air for aft unit, forward unit under v-berth. 2018 installed all new Thermaflex 4” insulated R8 ducting throughout.
- Dometic “Breathe Easy” in duct UV air purifier 110v.
- All port lights replaced with stainless steel New Found Metals portlights.
- All ventilation hatches rebuilt. Solid teak frames, 3/8” Makrolon polycarbonate tinted lenses installed without screws or fasteners,VViViD One-Way Perforated Black Vinyl Privacy Window Film on lenses.
- 2018 New Sintra 3mm hard PVC sheet headliner with teak battens. All new NauticLED lighting throughout with individual multi stage dimming.
- Galley refit. New Corian counter tops, custom stainless steel back splash, cabinet for recessed microwave with built-in spice storage. Refrigeration box with stainless steel liner and drain, separate freezer box with stainless steel liner and drain. 1 x Dometic 12 volt/ 110 volt marine refrigeration unit w/ air cooled Danfoss BD 50 compressor, 1 x Frigaboat 12 volt / 110 volt marine refrigeration unit w/ air cooled Danfoss BD 50 compressor. Second Dometic CB 40 1.4 cubic ft refrigerator / freezer box under salon seating.
- Under counter stainless steel sink, custom faucet, drinking water faucet with dual 5 micron filtration unit under sink. Siemens glass 4 burner gas stove top, Techimpex marine oven. Custom tilt out stainless steel under counter trash receptacle. Above counter teak shelf for toaster and storage. Teak glass storage rack.
- Forward head remodeled. Corian flooring and counters. Above counter sink with custom faucet, new headliner with led lighting. Jabsco electric flush toilet, plumbed to fresh water system. New macerator pump 2018.
- Aft head converted to shower stall. Corian flooring and half walls. Corian bench. Corian cabinet with counter containing spectra 150 gpd watermaker. Custom adjustable showerhead and faucet.
- Sump pumps fore and aft for overboard discharge of all grey waste water, and A/C drain pan discharge.
- Removal of all existing copper plumbing, entire boat re-plumbed with Whale color coded semi rigid pipe and quick connect fittings.
- Teak and holly flooring throughout entire boat removed refinished and coated with six coats of high gloss urethane.
- High output Marco UP/3E 4.0 GPM • "Smart" Variable Speed Gear Pump, water pump.
Fiberglass water tanks port and starboard under seating. 225 gallons total.
- Fiberglass fuel tank under cockpit sole. 90 gallons total. 2018 tank drained and pressure cleaned.
- 2020 new North Sails 135% Genoa sail.
- Newer North Sails main sail.
- 2020 all canvas replaced. New Bimini, dodger, main sail cover. Sunbrella fabrics.
- There are just a few things to finish up to make this boat yours. Needed to complete refit.
• Chart plotter
• New transmission (on order)
• Salon dining table refurbish
• Master stateroom mattress
Dolce Far Niente is a spacious 2 cabin yacht with real live aboard proportions. As you enter the salon from the large cockpit you immediately realize how spacious she really is. Her beautiful galley is to port opposite the large navigation station. Forward of the galley to port is a spacious curved settee, with additional seating opposite. She can easily seat 6 for dining. Voluminous storage is available above and behind both seating areas. Her 13-foot beam is evident in the salon with plenty of natural light, opening hatches and port lights all adding to the sheer volume of the space.
Aft and to port of the salon is the huge walk-in stall shower. The aft master cabin is located next to the shower and contains a double bed with storage under the complete length. Opposite the master is the 5 drawer pantry storage, an LG washer/dryer, and one of the 2 air-conditioning units. Forward of the main seating area located to port is the main head and to starboard are two very large hanging lockers. The guest cabin V berth is located in the bow with storage beneath and the second air-conditioning unit.
• Galley is located aft to port in salon
• Siemens glass 4 burner propane cook top
• Techimpex built in propane oven
• All stove lines are Copper tubing and flexible rubber safety thermocouple, solenoid shut off valve.
• All counter tops are Corian, backsplash and stove overhead are all stainless steel.
• Cabinet for recessed microwave and built-in spice storage.
• Refrigeration. Dometic 12 volt/ 110 volt marine refrigeration unit w/ air cooled Danfoss BD 50 compressor
• Freezer 1 x Frigaboat 12 volt / 110 volt marine refrigeration unit w/ air cooled Danfoss BD 50 compressor.
• Second Dometic CB 40 1.4 cubic ft refrigerator / freezer box under salon seating.
• Oversized under counter stainless steel sink, custom faucet, drinking water faucet with dual 5 micron filtration unit under sink.
• Custom tilt out stainless steel under counter trash receptacle.
• Above counter teak shelf for toaster and storage. Teak glass storage rack.
Electronics and Navigation
• Simrad NX 45 GPS chart plotter at nav station
• Simrad Is20 sailing instruments x 3, wind, speed & depth
• Standard Horizon VHF / AIS Radio
• Standard Horizon Command Mike. Remote for cockpit.
• Simrad GPS antenna
• VHF Antenna
• SeaTel 18” antenna for Sat TV
• Fusion MS-AV650 marine stereo with CD/DVD
• Fusion Audio dock for phone/I pod
• 2 pair JL Audio M 650 speakers
• JL Audio 10” sub woofer
• Sony 32” TV with wall mount bracket.
• Bose sound bar for television
• Main engine Isuzu diesel 60 HP with dual Racor primary fuel filters and CAV secondary
• Engine hours 2200 since complete rebuild
• New mechanical cable controls
• Teleflex side mount throttle and shift control with custom high gloss teak mounting plate and knob.
• Transmission Hurth
• Electromax high output 85 amp marine alternator with external regulator.
• 2 x Delta T Sysyems continuous duty blowers
• 20 gal electric hot water heater with engine heat exchanger
• Bilge pumps: 2 electric automatic, and Two electric automatic shower pumps
• Northern Lights 8 KW diesel generator with sound shield
• Spectra Water maker 150 gal per day 12v
• Voltage: 120 Volt dual 30 AMP 60 hrz.
• Lighting 12-volt DC, dimmable LED
• Blue Seas Systems Vessel Systems Monitor for electrical and tankage monitoring
• Blue Seas Systems P12 40 amp battery charger with remote panel
• (2) 30 AMP shore power chords with 50 amp splitter.
• Telephone / cable tv inlet with cord
• Batteries: 3 x 12 volt 8D-AGM Lifeline deep cycle 255 AH each (2018)
• 2 12v series 27 start batteries, main engine and generator
• Battery location - Salon bilge, and master stateroom
• In 2012 entire rudder system rebuilt
• All deck hardware Stainless steel and aluminum
• 2 Propane tanks in port locker (2) 20lb tanks
• 1 10lb propane tank for BBQ in anchor locker
• New Lewmar windlass with remote in cockpit and chain counter.
• High polished stainless steel anchor chain 80’
• High polished stainless steel Rocna anchor.
• Additional anchor line and spare anchor.
• Tall stanchion height with 3 lifelines
• Simrad windex masthead wind direction instrument
• Masthead tricolor , navigation light
• 2 spreader lights
• LED stern light
• 2 stainless steel dorade ventilators
• Scan strut gimbaled radar mount
• Said teak swim ladder
• Edson Marine dingy davits, removable
Mast, Rigging, and Sails
• Main mast aluminum painted
• Boom aluminum painted
• Standing rigging stainless steel cable, inspected in 2019
• Running rigging Dacron line
• North Sails Main like new
• North Sails 135% Genoa new 2020
• North Sails storm sail